So between now and the last post, I had a sweet little baby shower themed April Showers. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures, but I'll see if I can grab a few from my mother in law/friends who took some and post them here later.
The colors were all sweet pastels - lavender, light yellow, light pink and light green and my mom and I ordered light pink parasols to decorate with. Everyone sat on the big patio and had fresh flower center pieces at their tables. My mom attached little crystals from fishing wire to hang from the parasols and look like raindrops. It was all very pretty.
We chatted for a little while and then were treated to a Mexican taco bar - grilled carne asada or chicken on corn tortillas with toppings and rice and beans. We played several games. Finding safety pins in pasta while blind folded, the what do you have in your purse game, the clothes pin/don't cross your legs game and a memory game (my niece came out with all this strange stuff on, walked through the party and quickly left). There was a door prize/rigged game as well...whoever sat in the seat with the sticker won a prize as well. They were all great prizes too - *everything* was well thought out and planned by my mom for months.
After games I opened presents and Malia had a ton! So many that I had to devise an opening presents system...a quick, but very thorough and efficient system. Malia has a *huge* wardrobe now thanks to the shower and we got some essentials we were still hoping for. Thank you so much to everyone who helped us out with the shower. We budgeted to be able to buy our baby the essentials in case I didn't have a super turnout at the shower and I was overwhelmed at how many people were able to make it (including lots and lots of family who drove in from California despite outrageous gas prices). I hope you enjoyed the day as much as I did! I haven't had that much fun and that type of fun since preparing for my wedding and bridal shower. I did get my nails done and get a new super cute outfit for the event so, that added to the deja vu feeling =) We're blessed!
In other activities, since the shower, Tyler and I have been doing something every day to get ready for Malia. I have just three weeks left and I feel like she might, just might decide to be an early arrival due to all the pressure down below and the ever increasing and uncomfortable Braxton Hicks contractions. Our original list looked like this:
1. register @ hospital
2. pick pediatrician and interview
3. create birth plan
4. finish buying baby items
5. finish the baby's room (paint touch up, curtains, blinds, pictures, fabric wall panels, ceiling fan)
6. wash baby clothes and blankets
7. install car seat
8. inquire about last payments to OB/GYN
9. pack hospital bag
10. finish baby shower thank you notes
and my invisible #11. clean, clean, clean because I need this house to be super, super clean
Here's what's left on the list after last week:
5. finish the baby's room (blinds, pictures, ceiling fan)
7. install car seat
9. pack hospital bag
10. finish baby shower thank you notes
&
#11. clean, clean, clean because I need this house to be super, super clean
(to the pregnant woman it never really ends)
I do still need to buy a pump too which is something I don't think any right minded woman gets excited about especially at $100 or more a pop, but I think I've made my decision on which brand and how much much I'm willing to spend. Hopefully it works out because I have absolutely no experience in such things. I'm laughing to myself as I type this...
Also making me laugh at the moment are Malia's hiccups. First round of the day - she usually has three per day =)
As promised here are some shower pics...feel free to click and make them bigger =)
The Incursion of Foreigners
9 years ago







I love reading your blog--you're a great blogger. I would definitely put in the car seat (have Tyler do it). It's nice to know that the base is there and you just have to click in the seat. As for breast pumps, I've heard to ONLY get Medela brand. I used it at the hospital (Ethan was unable to nurse in the NICU) and borrowed my SIL's pump on occasion. I liked it a lot. Good luck with the rest of the preparations! I hope I'm not giving out too much unsolicited advice. If so, just ignore it! :)
ReplyDeleteso glad to here your doing good! I am so excited to meet your little girl!! Are you doing a natural birth without an epidural?
ReplyDeleteLiz, so after I blogged I was quite sure I was going to go with a Lansinoh electric
ReplyDeletebreast pump (around $135) - I really liked the reviews on amazon.com it got -
even more so than the Medela equivalent, but I've heard Medela is great too, so that
was my next choice. Did some more research on amazon and surprisingly, people seem to love the Lansinoh manual breast pump even more so than the electric. Some people even say they're able to express more milk using the Lansinoh manual than a Medela electric. So, I'm thinking $32 for the manual might be a good starting investment. Let's be honest too - I *am* nervous about hooking up something electric to my boobs so, manual seems to be a good way to ease into things. I also don't need a huge supply on hand - just for the days I work (3 days a week, 5 hours a day) and I think I can achieve that with a manual. That's *if* all things go great though and we don't have any issues breast feeding. Still, I wouldn't feel too bad about having to upgrade after paying $32. So, that's my thought process right now. I love your advice btw Liz. If you hadn't responded, I would totally not be checking out Medela manuals to compare right now which I am. =)
Danielle, I'll probably do a medicated birth with an epidural...my pain tolerance is low, but we'll see how things go. Maybe I'll surprise myself? Doubtful though!
I had issues nursing at first with Savannah and requested a pump in the hospital to get my supply coming in faster (it works). They brought in a Medela electric pump and with it also came a manual pump. I got to take home all the bottles, tubes, shields and manual pump for free. It was a great manual pump and I used it all through nursing Savannah (13 months). I decided with Jaxon that I wanted an electric pump and actually ordered one on ebay. I know that sounds odd, but it was a $300 Medela pump that I got for a little under $100. I got new tubing and sanitized everything else. The other nice thing was I asked for a pump again in the hospital with Jaxon and once again got another manual pump, more bottles and tubes,etc. So now I have lots of Medela bottles, tubes, shields and extra parts and didn't pay much or anything for it all. I love all my Medela pumps and when I had to order a new faceplate for my pump (because Noah was trying to be nice by setting it up and broke it), Medela sent me the replacement parts for free. I think I posted about it somewhere on my blog. So to sum it up, I like my Medela pumps and you can probably get a free manual pump at the hospital. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm pro Medela too. I got the harmony which is the manual pump and around $30. I've had to pump a lot lately, and I love the manual one. It fits right in the diaper bag and it's fast. I am so glad I didn't invest in the expensive automatic one. My advice is to go manual!
ReplyDelete