I was lying awake this morning thinking about being a dad and how much fun I am going to have. I wanted to sit down and make a list of my top 10 things I am most excited about doing over the next couple of years as a dad.
1) I can't wait until I hand my baby off to someone else, and she starts crying and getting fussy. Once they hand her back to me she will be quiet and calm. I've been in the opposite shoes so much that it will feel amazing to be a safe haven for my little girl.
2) I am excited about changing my name in everything to "dad". Nothing will belong to "Tyler" any more. My video game scores will have the name "dad" next to them. Cards will be signed as dad, log ins on the computer as dad. Very little will belong to Tyler now.
3) I, obviously, can't wait to just hold her in my arms. I know that this excitement might wear off quickly. But, I can't wait to wake up to her and hold her still. I want to just sit around with her and hold her in my arms. Right now I feel like I have no need for little bouncers or swings, because I will hold her the whole time and won't want to set her down. (I already know that this will wear off VERY quickly... Just let me have my moment now and you can hold it against me in a couple of weeks)
4) I am excited to read books with her. I want to have her sit in on my lap and read her stories. Even if she won't understand it at first, I want that love of books instilled in her and I want her to love sitting in daddy's lap listening to great new stories.
5) I want to become a better photographer. I want to take this opportunity to be better at taking pictures and documenting the fun activities that we do. I am not that great at taking pictures now, but I am REALLY hoping all of that will change and I will want to get memories of every outing, event, and activity we do.
6) I am excited about taking her out to see the "world". I want to take her to the zoo, to the museum, to baseball games. I want to take her to see the temples, take her for walks, go on hikes. I want to be able to take opportunities of days off to go see the sites. My first time I go to the Grand Canyon... will be with her!
7) I can't wait to teach her the gospel. I want to teach her the simple truths of the gospel and let her know at a young age who Jesus Christ is and what he did for us. I want her to recognize our living prophet and I want to try my best to have a daughter who enjoys going to primary.
8) I want to go on "Daddy/Daughter Dates" I want to go out with just her for ice cream. I want to take her out to the new princess movie at the theaters. I want to go out for pizza, or try out a new restaurant together. Even if it is just going for a walk together, I am excited to have some alone time with my girl. I even have our first one set up (while Jackie is having a bow making party)
9) I'm curious to see what kind of talents she will have. I want to see her draw, I want to hear her play at the piano, I want to see her act and do improv, I want to eat her cooking. I want her to have every opportunity to find her love and find her talents. I can't wait to see her perform in a preschool production, or sing in front of her school in a second grade play. I want to be that proud dad in the audience with a video camera leaning to the person next to me with a smile saying "that's my girl!"
10) I am also thrilled to have those times where I just step back and watch her make decisions. I want to see her be faced in situations where I won't help her out. I want to see what choices she makes on her own. If she makes a tough choice, I want to be available for her. I want her to feel like she can talk to dad. I hope I am the kind of dad that she can share anything with and be open to.
She is going to be here THIS WEEK. I have never been this excited about something EVER. And that includes my sleepless Christmas Eve nights. She has been on my mind for the last 9 months and I can't wait to finally meet her and hold her and know she is mine forever.
The Incursion of Foreigners
9 years ago
Oh hurray! I haven't met you, but you sound like the perfect guy for Jackie! Being a dad is GREAT! My husband loves it and is just as excited this second time around for us. Good luck and congrats. Be nice and wake up in the middle of the night to change the diaper before Jackie feeds her. She love you even more than she does now! :)
ReplyDelete