Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's Being a Mom Like?

Lately, I've been wondering how things will change when our little lady arrives. I know we will find our greatest joy in her; holidays, events, even ordinary days will have so much more meaning and purpose. We will love her with a love that's beyond anything we've ever known. These things I know. But will I also feel at times, like I've lost a part of myself to this little person? That in someway motherhood will feel limiting or restrictive? So, like I do with most anything, I googled and found this answer to the question to "What's Being a Mom Like?" comforting and so well worded:

...

I am an educated, career minded woman who became a mom at 32.

Being a mom is the most exhausting, frightening, thankless, and overwhelming job I've ever had.

That said, it is also the most fulfilling, satisfying, amazing, gratifying, life-changing, thought-altering, love-deepening experience I can imagine.

There is a quote from Elizabeth Stone that I love to read and re-read because nothing could be more true:

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."

No one can prepare you for the depth of love you will feel for your child. All the things that are so important to you now will seem less so after your baby comes into your world. That's not to say that you will or should want to give up your career, or your hobbies, it's just that everything you do, you will do with a greater purpose. Every experience will have a greater depth of joy to it. Every fear will be intensified. Everything you do will be forever impacted by the love you feel for your child.

So in answer to your question, no, you don't have to give up life as you know it, but YES, life as you know it will be forever changed. You will love more deeply than you ever thought possible. That is what I love most about being a mom.

Just wait until you get your first unsolicited kiss. Or your child tells you, "you look pretty, mommy!" Those moments will outrank any promotion, any great read, any accomplishment. Wait and see...

Oh, and what a wonderful question that gives us mom's a chance to reaffirm why we do what we do.

...

I loved reading that. And moms what do you think? I think we approach any monumental life change with a little hesitation, a little grasping to the past because that's what we've known and what we're comfortable with. If anything I now think our sweet baby's going to be not only the love of our lives, but a huge motivator in everything we do and that's good for our family. I haven't been nervous about motherhood, just maybe a little curious and hesitant of the unknown. Sure there are going to be days when all the attention is on the baby, but I'm going to try and set aside time for myself each day as well. I'm going to keep getting lost in my books and pursue interests in different hobbies that could lead to little side jobs. I think I'm going to have even more of a desire to be a success for our daughter. Life is going to change, but it will be worth it. I'll be referring to this post and other mothers' thoughts quite a bit. Leave me a thought or two!

2 comments:

  1. Here's my thought for you! :)
    Last mothers day our R.S. President reminded us how hard Satan works to bring mothers down because if he can bring a mom down, he can bring the whole family down. I think about that a lot when I am feeling overwhelemed, tired, out of patience, etc. I know that raising these boys is the greatest job I will ever do, but Satan knows how easy it is to make us think we aren't doing good enough. But the truth is, we are good enough! :)
    You and Tyler are going to be such great parents, I am so excited for you guys! It is an adjustment but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motherhood is such a huge responsibility too and as women we naturally gravitate toward perfection I think. But that's probably why we as women were entrusted with children too, because we have that natural desire to not only succeed, but be the best mothers we can be. You're such a great mom Sharlyn! I know it's got to be tough with three young ones in the house, but I also know time passes so quickly and soon they'll be older and easier in some ways, probably difficult in others! I'm really lucky to have Tyler as my husband. He's so supportive and helpful in everything I do. He's going to be such a great, helpful dad. With us working together as parents I think we'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete