Friday, January 7, 2011

It's a Girl!

This last Wednesday we had our 18 week ultrasound and got to find out the sex of our baby. If you haven't heard it's a girl! What a surprise. We've been thinking boy all along based on all the old wives' tales of prediction. Everything predicted boy. In a way thinking boy all along and then hearing "girl" made it all the more fun. I'm glad we're not able to determine gender on our own...not knowing and finding out is half the fun!

Anyways, besides finding out the gender, we were able to view our baby's organs and see how they were all developing wonderfully. From the symmetrical brain to the four chambers of the hearts to her little bladder and spine, everything's looking great! It really made me feel humble knowing I'm part of growing something so special and she's developing like she should.

Some stats and facts on our little lady:
  • She's in the 87th percentile in growth, meaning that she's not a small baby by any means, but she's also not a large baby.
  • The ultrasound was done at 18 weeks (out of 40), but in growth, she was measuring 18 weeks and 4 days.
  • She had a heartbeat of 138 beats per minutes (the last two measurements have been 152 and 151 beats per minute), very much in the normal range.
  • She was head down during the ultrasound and moved on us, but wasn't crazy active so, I'm hoping this means she'll be an easy going baby after birth.
  • We got two shots of her face in 3D/4D which were so neat and unexpected (I didn't think our office did them). Her face is slim, but the nurse practitioner assures us that's the way she's supposed to look at this stage since she doesn't have any fat on her.
  • She now weighs 9 oz, but I still haven't felt much in the way of movement.
  • She had her left arm up over her head in the 4D facial shots. It looks like she's giving us a thumbs up!

The day after the ultrasound I went to a little re-sale boutique by our house and bought a few newborn dresses and girly shirts. I couldn't resist it! We'll have to upload the ultrasound pictures to this post later. Be on the lookout for them!

Thrilled and excited!


2 comments:

  1. Isn't so fun to see how big your baby has gotten? I love reading your post! Your little girl sounds like she will be calm and easy to take care of when she is born, I hope Rich and I are only so lucky but by how much our little girl moves i highly doubt she will be a calm easy baby lol Have you picked out any names yet? you could tell me, we already named our little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's way fun! I can't believe she's that big already and has all her little human parts...I'm really proud of her =D No definite names yet. So far our names list looks like this: Adalie, Arden, Aurora, Harper, Layla, Malia, Malie (Hawaiian for "calm"), Molly, Ruby, Stella and Zoey -- more names to come I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete