Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Couponing Day #1

So, I believe I've mentioned this in the past, but I've decided to try and get into couponing. I have plenty of time and limited funds, so couponing seemed like a must have hobby/part time occupation.

After bringing home four Sunday papers, I got to clipping and boy does it take a while to clip all those coupons! Then I checked circular ads for the five big grocery stores within a few miles of us: Albertsons, Safeway, Frys, Bashas and Walgreens. I matched what the stores had on sale with my coupons and got a few good deals...
  • 4 bottles of All free & clear laundry detergent (32 load bottles) for $2.50 each - perfect for baby clothes
  • 4 packages of Bic hybrid advance razors (7 cartridges in each package) for .50 cents each - my favorite deal since these razors can be as much as $8.99 per package!
  • 3 tubes of Sensodyne pronamel toothpaste - for $2.79 each - my biggest splurge, but I saved $2.00 on each
  • 4 tubes of Colgate toothpaste - for .50 cents each (I think we're good on toothpaste for a while!)
  • 8 boxes of Hefty One Zip bags in various sizes - for $1.00 each
  • 3 Freshetta pizzas (yum) - for $3.00 each
  • 10 Dannon yogurts - for 24 cents each
So far I've saved $28 with manufacturer coupons and then another $45 with in store savings. Not bad for a first outing. And I still need to buy more edible groceries =) I'm not sure I'll ever be as extreme as the ladies on the Extreme Couponing show...even with my small batch, I got one rude cashier (due to 3 of my coupons disappearing at checkout and me trying to quickly look for them!). I'm not sure I could handle the pressure of tying up a register for 3 hours like those ladies do, but I am further motivated by the deals I found - especially on those razors. There's a humble kind of security knowing we don't have to pay for a few staples for a while...and who doesn't love keeping more money in their bank account? =)

3 comments:

  1. i'm super proud of you!! it's scary and hard when you first get started. and i still have a complex when i go through the checkout with a million coupons. not to mention when they fight you on some coupons! it's WAY out of my comfort zone. but i promise you it gets a fraction easier each time you go. today was my first time ad-matching at walmart! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of me too! Wonder if I should attempt price matching at Wal-Mart tomorrow. I know which stores have the best deals and I have no problem traveling (every store is within a mile or two), but maybe just hitting the one store would be best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do it! my trick (actually i stole it from my mom) is that i bring a folder that has ALL the ads in that i'm going to ad match. and then on the front of the folder, i just make a list of all the stores, what i'm ad matching, and the price. then i tell them i'm ad-matching and just read down the list as they check things out. that way, you look really prepared and they'll usually just trust you. but then if there's ever a question, you can just pull out the ad really quick. good luck! let me know if you do it!

    ReplyDelete