Hello there! It's been a little while since I blogged and things have happened since then so, this post is overdue.
For starters, we had that highly anticipated one hour 3D ultrasound. Malia was a funny little girl. I was praying she would cooperate and we did *end* with some cute shots of her face, but mostly she was a little booger. We started with the umbilical cord in front of her face, then her foot and hand in her face, then her hand in her face and then she decided to squish her face into my side and sink so low in my stomach that the ultrasound tech had me stand up and move every which way to try and get her to move into a better position. Malia!! The tech ended up unsatisfied with the appointment and welcomed us back next Tuesday for a do over. So, the parents, Tyler and I are heading back. Hopefully, Malia will be an absolute angel this time. From the ultrasound we did learn that Malia is appx. 3 lb 14 oz now (as of March 22nd) and her estimated due date is May 22nd (our doctor is still saying June 8th though).
That same morning I had my second gestational diabetes test (I failed the first one meaning a second test). I had read online that 85% of women who fail the first test pass the second and was hoping I'd be in that majority, but sadly no. So, I have gestational diabetes for at least 10 more weeks (until after Malia is born). I'm supposed to meet with a nutritionist about the diet they want me on, but I haven't heard anything from the doctor's office yet. In the meantime, I've done my own research...learned that I need to follow a low carb diet, exercise and take my own blood a few times a day. I've completely cut out soda/caffeine, am low carbing it and keeping a food journal. I've yet to start working out (really wish the treadmill was working right now), but I try to walk a decent amount during the day. And, I'm surely going to wait to start taking my own blood until they direct me to. No need to hurry that part of the process until I have more information ;) Gestational diabetes means I'll also have another two ultrasounds and a special test to monitor the baby. What it means for Malia is...not much luckily. Left unchecked gestational diabetes can result in a bigger baby and thus delivery complications and she has a greater chance of developing jaundice. Our doctor said that it's really not as big of a deal as it seems, but I'm doing what I can to ensure a healthy baby girl.
On more of a carefree note, Tyler and I had some fun outings since I last blogged. Friday, we caught a show at a local comedy club and that was a lot of fun. It was my first and I think I'd like to go back ;) Saturday, we went to the movies (Tyler enjoyed it, I didn't, but that's OK...) and then we went to a single's ward reunion (the babies there were *adorable*). Then, Sunday, we traveled an hour away to attend Tyler's cousin's baby's blessing. I had so much fun meeting that side of the family and chatting with them over BBQ. I married into a great family! Sad, they don't live closer...we'd probably visit on a regular basis if they did.
Wrapping things up, I have a friend (Miss BettyJo) who's starting to get into clipping coupons and I said I'd join her. I'm challenging myself to a couple clipping episode before going grocery shopping this week. I'll let you know how I do!
The Incursion of Foreigners
9 years ago
GD is awful; I had it with my son (fortunately not this time though!). Basically, you will become the queen of the South Beach diet. I highly recommend their chocolate snack bars when you need something sweet; they aren't perfect but they'll satisfy the craving. Good luck, and you have my sympathy.
ReplyDeleteThanks Tena! I'm doing pretty good on the diet so far which is good! Keeping a food journal helps keep me accountable...I think I'll keep it up after the pregnancy to help me lose weight. The doctor said most women lose 10 lbs during their pregnancy on the diet and I think I've lost a pound in the one week I've been on it. Yay! I'll check out those South Beach snack bars. I need good low carb snacks for work!...So far just taking egg whites and an apple now...
ReplyDeletei LOVE reading your blog jackie! you & tyler are soooo cute. We really do need to do a double date ! i am so excited for you to have your cute little baby!! & good luck with the couponing! if you ever want/ need help lemme know. maybe we could do a day of showing you & clipping coupons & getting organized of course! :)
ReplyDelete