Sunday, January 31, 2010

Murtaugh List

I don't know how many of you who read our blog watch How I Met Your Mother, but if you don't... You should! Anyway, last season they had an episode where they came up with a Murtaugh list. (This is in reference to Danny Glover's character in the Lethal Weapon movies who, at some point in every movie, says "I'm too old for this stuff!") They decided that as 30-somethings they are just too old to do certain things, like eat a whole pizza in one sitting, or do an all nighter, or sleep on a futon...
Well, last night I decided that I need to add the first item to my own personal Murtaugh list. I learned that I am just too old to try to fight my way to the front and center of a rock concert and stay there for the whole show.
Last night I went to see the band AFI with my brother Justin and we were pretty close to the front during the opening two bands, and I was doing good, enjoying it and feeling young! Well, once AFI came out everyone in the sold out theater rushed the front leaving me with absolutely no personal bubble and where there had once been 5 people there were now 13 and more cramming trying to get up there. 2 songs into their set I just said "I'm too old for this stuff!" and worked my way back a bit. I only went back about 10 feet and from there I was able to enjoy an amazing show and have space to breath and sing along as well.
I am definitely not too old to go to rock concerts, and I plan on continuing going to them when the opportunity comes up, but I am now, officially, too old to watch from up close in the pits, and will now enjoy the shows from a safer distance.

Here is AFI performing their opening song... I was up at the front somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment