Sunday, February 5, 2012

Tax Season Excitement

I think this is the first tax season I'm kind of excited about. We're hoping to get a little bit of a refund and I'm hoping to put a little bit of that refund into landscaping our backyard. When we were house hunting almost 2 1/2 years ago, one of my wishes was that the house have a backyard. I really, really wanted a dog at the time (growing up with animals there was just no other way!) and had to have a backyard for my dog. The house we bought has a decent sized backyard. Full of rocks and no grass - but at least it was something to work with. Since we've moved in, we've put down some sod and seeds and Josie loves the grass, but now that we have Malia, I have grander ideas - a la backyard oasis in time for an upright, walking Malia. Concrete curbing - yes please. A raised planter with flowers and a big tree stretching alongside the back - yes please! Tyler shares a small part of my backyard excitement - mainly because I think he thinks of the process (work!) and I mainly just think of the outcome. Hopefully, that will change =P



The current blah backyard (it looks much better in the summer - we tried putting down winter seed this year and the birds ate A LOT if it hence all the yellow)...

We're also hoping to put a portion of the tax refund into starting a business. A venture we've talked and played around with for quite a while now. I know I should be even more excited about this than the backyard because a business has the potential to provide some needed extra income, but it's also a little nerve wracking too as any new venture can be. Tyler and I should have the ability to run this little business on our weekends off and during the summer when he's off of school. Details to come though!

1 comment:

  1. Exciting! The house we first bid on had an amazing (and big) backyard. We were in the dirt stage until we did a tree and sod this week. Money is the issue (isn't it always) since Dan is a teacher too. But now that we have sod, I'm really wanted the rest too. Curbing, pavers, a raised bed, and a sq ft garden. Add some plants and tree to the front too. Oh the dreams! Our refund is going into the mini-van fund. 3 kids will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete